Rooting is the process gaining access to Android device’s privileged control, known as root access. Rooting your smartphone will increase your phone’s performance, battery life, etc. Xiaomi allows their users to get native root access by directly flashing the Root access file from their forum. And there are 10-15 custom roms available for Mi 4i.
How to Root Xiaomi Mi 4i
Unfortunately there is no Native Root for Mi 4i, but we can still gain root access by flashing the latest SuperSU zip file.
- Download the Latest SuperSU file from here.
- Copy it to your device’s internal storage.
- Now switch off you device and go to Stock recovery by pressing Power button and Volume button Simultaneously. Navigate by using Volume keys(Up and Down) and Power Button(Select). Select ENGLISH. Select Install Package to System. Browse and select the SuperSU zip file.
- Or goto Security app, click on the three dots on top right corner, and select install update package from system and browse to the zip file which we downloaded and select it.
- Now your device will reboot automatically.
- You will have a app called SuperSU through which you can provide root access permission to apps.
To confirm whether your device is rooted properly or not install Root Checker app. Open it SuperSU app will pop up and ask you for root access permission, allow it.
How to Flash Custom ROMs for Xiaomi Mi 4i
If you have successfully rooted, you can then flash custom ROMs. Most of the ROMs mentioned below are bugless.
Before Flashing Custom roms you need to have custom recoveries, stock recoveries don’t support custom ROM flash. We can install some custom recoveries like Clockworkmod Recovery (CWM) or Teamwin Recovery Project (TWRP). TRRP is recommended. You can install it just how you flashed the superSU zip file for root access, choose one of the recoveries provided below. Copy it to your device and flash it.
Click on the Names to Download it
ROMs Based on Android Marshmallow (Android version 6.0 & 6.0.1) for Xiaomi Mi 4i
CyanogenMod 13 (Unofficial)(Android 6.0 Marshmallow)
ROMs Based on Android Lollipop (Android version 5.0.1) for Xiaomi Mi 4i
Cyanogenmod 12.1 (Unofficial)
Credits and Source – Respective ROM developers, MI Forum, XDA Developers